Undergraduate Admissions

Every student who wishes to pursue a BS in Chemical Engineering must be formally admitted to the university and to the Chemical and Biological Engineering department. Students entering the university from high school must apply through the Office of Admissions and can be admitted to University College or to the Pre-Engineering program, administered by Engineering Student Services within the School of Engineering. When they have successfully completed the technical courses required for admission consideration, they can apply for admission to the CBE department.

Admission to the CBE department requires:

  • Completion of at least 18 credit hours toward the degree and good standing in the university
  • Completion of at least the 19-25 credit hours of technical courses required in the first year curricula (see below)
  • A GPA of at least 2.5 and grades of C- or better in each of those 19-25 hours
  • Completion of English 110

Courses required for admission to CBE (beginning Fall 2015)  include:

CourseCourse TitleCredits
Chem 121 General Chemistry I 3
Chem 123L General Chemistry I Lab 1
Chem 122 General Chemistry II 3
Chem 124L General Chemistry II lab 1
Math 162 Calculus I 4
Math 163 Calculus II 4
Phyc 160 General Physics 3
CBE 101 Introduction to Chemical and Biological Engineering 1

Transfer students apply through the Office of Admissions and are considered for admission to the department under the same conditions. The Registrar’s Office, in conjunction with the university’s academic departments, evaluates most courses for transfer, while the CBE department assesses transcripts to determine possible acceptance of any Chemical Engineering courses. Prior to admission, if necessary, students may be required to seek approval for appropriate course equivalencies or core substitutions from the academic departments outside of CBE.

Use these forms if you are already a UNM student:

Chemical Engineering Admission Application

NOTE: Transfer Students and Non-Degree students should not use the forms above. You must apply through the UNM Admissions Office.

Transfer Students
Non-Degree Students
Freshmen: Apply through the UNM Admissions Office