Undergraduate Admissions

Every student who wishes to pursue a BS in Chemical Engineering (BSCHE) must be formally admitted to UNM and to the BSCHE degree program. Freshmen, transfer students, and readmits must first apply to UNM through the Office of Admissions.  If Chemical Engineering is selected on the application through the Office of Admissions and the student meets the minimum UNM admission requirements, the student is admitted as a Pre-Chemical Engineering student. Once the student has successfully completed the BSCHE degree admission requirements described below, the student will be admitted to the BSCHE degree program and will no longer be in Pre-Chemical Engineering status.

Admission to the BSCHE degree program requires:

  • Completion of all 20 credit hours of technical courses required in the first year (see below)
  • A GPA of at least 2.5 and grades of "C" or better in each of those 20 hours of technical courses
  • Completion of English 1110 or its equivalent with a "C" or better
  • Be in good academic standing with the School of Engineering (min 2.3 cumulative UNM GPA)

Courses required for admission include:

Course Course Title Credits
CBE 101 Introduction to Chemical & Biological Engineering 1
CHEM 1215 (or 1217)  General Chemistry I for STEM Majors (or Principles of Chemistry I) 3
CHEM 1215L General Chemistry I for STEM Majors Laboratory 1
CHEM 1225 (or 1227)  General Chemistry II for STEM Majors (or Principles of Chemistry II) 3
CHEM 1225L General Chemistry II for STEM Majors Laboratory 1
MATH 1512 Calculus I 4
MATH 1522 Calculus II 4
PHYS 1310 Calculus-Based Physics I 3

Attention Transfer Students:  The Registrar's Office, in conjunction with UNM's academic departments, evaluates most courses for transfer, while the CBE Department assesses transcripts to determine possible acceptance of any CBE courses. Prior to admission, if necessary, students may be required to seek approval for appropriate course equivalencies from the academic departments outside of the CBE Department.  

Questions?  Please contact our advising staff