Admission to ChE without BS in Chemical Engineering

Preparatory Course Work for Students without an Undergraduate Chemical Engineering Degree

Students without an undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering may be eligible for admission to the graduate program. However, they may be required to take some undergraduate courses to prepare them for graduate work in the department. Generally, these students fall into one of two categories:

1) Students with an Engineering Degree in Another Field

These students can be admitted directly to the program, provided they satisfy all other admissions criteria. However, they may need to take some undergraduate courses that are prerequisites for graduate courses in their field of study. This course sequence must be determined on an individual basis and will depend on the student’s background and intended program of study. The preparatory course sequence will be selected in consultation with the Chemical Engineering Graduate Advisor.

2) Students without an Undergraduate Engineering Degree

For graduate applicants from another discipline, the admissions committee strongly recommends taking undergraduate leveling courses including the core undergrad courses:

  • Transport Phenomena - CBE 311 (offered fall only)
  • Chemical Reactor Engineering - CBE 461 (offered fall only)
  • ChE Thermodynamics - CBE 302 (offered spring only)
  • Mass Transfer -- CBE 321 (offered spring only)
  • Applied Ordinary Differential Equations - Math 316 (Pre or Coreq CS 151L) (offered fall, spring, and summer)